Sunday, May 3, 2020

Dying to please

The slightest thing
I take as offense
Even if someone just
passes me

Sensitive and less significant 
I feel

the pressure to please

Begging for you to like me

I work hard to please 
All the men.
I feel them come into my line
I feel them staring.
I feel it is a man…
Who is staring at me?
Do you like what you see?
Or am I just not going fast enough 
For you?

I just want everybody 
To like me in the store
And on the road

Coworkers 
Strangers
Employers

All for my self-esteem

How low it must be 
for me to need
complete strangers to like me

I hardly have time
For anybody now

I want to beat 
traffic like some
people do

Like those fucking trucks!
I think of them as rude customers

I never know 
How it will be 
on the road -
Busy or slow or
empty.

I hate walking into
Work and
Seeing all the people 

/ Predicting their 
Thoughts

If they knew mine,
They'd be shocked...

People look at me, and
I both like 
and hate it.

I don't like following 
their rules of engagement.

I don't like how 
they make me feel
for not pretending.

Listening to voices
And conversations
It's all nonsense

I am sore from standing
in bad posture

I watch, in the corner of my eye,
someone in my line

I say fuck you 
To everybody who comes 
Into my line

I dream of guys seeing
me in my car 
And thinking I'm hot.

Who do I think is watching?

No one.

How can I stop?
I don't think I can do this
much longer.

I feel, as I walk out,
A heavy weight crushing
my shoulders

I am numb now.

I don't feel
like myself.
I feel drunk and woosy

I don't know what I'm thinking.
I just want to get 
Home

Poetry
is my only source of hope

I guess

I'll just fake it
until I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The handshake 2